Mark D. Parker Scholarship
This scholarship program is possible because of the generosity of Mack Parker, long-time member of Faith Baptist Church, Anchorage.
Until Jesus comes, the earnings from the Trust created at his home-going continues to benefit Alaska Baptist students attending Seminary.
"STUDY TO SHOW THYSELF APPROVED UNTO GOD" 2 TIMOTHY 2:15
Deadline: April 30, 2018
Send complete and accurate information as outlined below to the:
Alaska Baptist Foundation
Qualifications for Applying
1. Applicant must meet all entry requirements of the attending Seminary. This includes all studies at graduate and postgraduate levels.
2. Applicant shall be a man who has surrendered to preach before the age of 25.
3. Applicant shall be a member of a Southern Baptist church, church plant, mission, or preaching point that is affiliated and in “good standing” with the Alaska Baptist Convention. (For convenience the term "church" will be used to reference entities that meet this criteria throughout this brochure and all other necessary forms)
4. Applicant shall have been a resident of Alaska for the two years prior to applying for the scholarship.
* Applicant must submit proof of current Alaska residency status.
* Applicant shall maintain Alaska residency if attending a school outside of Alaska.
I. Completed and signed application
2. Completed and signed "church" Certification Form
3. Documented proof that the applicant is an Alaska resident . Documentation of at least one of the examples listed must be included in the application package.
*Proof of receipt of the Alaska permanent fund dividend (not the application for the PFD)
*A copy of Alaska drivers license or Alaska state ID card
*Alaska voter registration ID card
4. A one-page testimony from the applicant detailing the call of God on his life and the desire to enter the pastoral ministry.
5. A letter of recommendation from the applicant’s local church.
6. For returning applicants of this three-year program, it is not necessary to resubmit all the above material. As long as proof of your continued enrollment Is provided and the applicant demonstrates that Alaska residency and membership in good standing with a church recognized by the Alaska Baptist Convention is maintained.
If the consecutive period of study is broken, the applicant must reapply and submit a complete application package.
Scholarship General information
The maximum scholarship amount is $3,500 in a three-year period consisting of $1,500 in the first year, $1,500 in the second year, and $500 in the third year. Based on the institution's definition of full time status. (Part-time status will be allowed, in such cases, amounts will be awarded on a reduced prorated basis.)
Only Seminaries endorsed by the Alaska Baptist Convention qualify for this program.
While there is no specific GPA requirement for this scholarship program, it is understood that as graduate level study, certain academic standards by the institutions may apply.
In the cases where this scholarship is awarded for postgraduate Seminary work such as a DMin or ThD/PhD Program, enrollment in the program will be deemed as full-time status for payment of the scholarship, unless otherwise classified by the institution. Additionally for postgraduate work the full annual limit can be awarded in a single payment for that year.
The funds may be used for tuition, books, and fees. (If the monies are used for room and board they may be subject to tax)
Scholarships are granted annually. Notification letters are usually mailed by May 31.
Students may receive the scholarship for Seminary/Masters level training or postgraduate doctrinal training but not both.
Distribution of Funds
Funds are paid to the school not the student, once proof of enrollment is verified.
The Alaska Baptist Foundation must receive proof of enrollment Full-time or part-time from the institution for both the Fall and Spring semesters.
List of approved schools:
Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
Gateway Seminary of the SBC
Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary
Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary
Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
The Alaska Baptist Foundation reserves the right to revise scholarship policies, subject to the general guidelines and availability of earnings from the Parker Trust
|If you have questions about the Mark D Parker Scholarships that are not addressed on this page or in the downloads above, please submit you questions in the comments box of the form below.|